Friday, May 8, 2015

Noooooo!!!

This post is dedicated to the memory my bottle of OPI's 'Cement the Deal':

Broken bottle of grey nail polish, covered in polish and tissue

I have never in my life broken a bottle of nail polish - until yesterday! I broke my new bottle of OPI's 'Cement the Deal'. It was such a disaster - I ruined a portion of my carpet, I had polish all over me, and my entire bedroom smelled like nail polish! And the worst part is, not only had I not worn the polish, I had only owned it for 3 days!

I just bought the bottle of polish on Monday. That day, I went to one of my favourite nail polish stores specifically looking for it because I had purchased 3 others polishes from the OPI '50 Shades of Grey' collection on clearance at a different store over the weekend, and wanted to see if I could find the last one that I wanted.

The OPI '50 Shades of Grey' collection contains 6 polishes. A red crème polish called 'Romantically Involved', a silver metallic polish called 'My Silk Tie', a silver and blue glitter polish called 'Shine for Me', and 3 (not 50!) shades of grey crème polish: 'Dark Side of the Mood' (a dark grey); 'Embrace the Grey' (a medium grey); and 'Cement the Deal' (a slightly lighter medium grey). I had already purchased 'Romantically Involved', 'Dark Side of the Mood', and 'Embrace the Grey', and was hoping to find 'Cement the Deal'.

I remember how carefully I had to search the display at the store I went to in order to find it. 'Embrace the Grey', and 'Cement the Deal' look so similar in the bottles that I literally had to check the bottom of each bottle of polish in the display in order to find the right one. After flipping about 9 bottles of 'Embrace...' I was beginning to think 'Cement the Deal' was sold out. I continued flipping nevertheless, and lo and behold, after checking every single grey polish on the rack, the last bottle I flipped was the last bottle of 'Cement the Deal' they had out! I left feeling so ecstatic that my persistence had been rewarded, and I was now the proud owner of the polish I had gone looking for - for a relatively decent (for OPI) clearance price of $6.99. Little did I know then, that happy moment would culminate in an evening of frustration and annoyance, in just a mere three days!

16 shots of the broken bottle of polish, OPI's 'Cement the Deal', and a little bottle I used to store what was left of the polish.

On Thursday, I dropped a few polishes on my carpet while trying to select polishes for a manicure. Two of the bottles must have hit each other, breaking one of them. Now, breaking a bottle of nail polish is one of those unexpected events, that can easily derail every single plan you had for the next few hours.  It takes so much time to clean the area, do a quick manicure to use up some of the polish, try to salvage what's left by cleaning another almost empty polish bottle to store it in, carefully transfer the remaining polish into the freshly cleaned bottle, place an on-line order for a replacement bottle, and then air the house out.

It really bothered me to re-purchase the polish (at full price), but I knew I would feel a lot worse if I wasn't able to find it on clearance in any stores, and it sold out on-line, and I was never able to repurchase it. In retrospect, the colour wasn't really that unique so it probably wouldn't be hard to find a dupe - but you never really think these things through after an emotional event!

***Edit 2015-05-16:
Here is a picture of the new bottle of polish I ordered that night (first from left) along with the three others that I have from the collection, and what's left of the first bottle (top). The salvaged bottle looks deceptively full, but that's just because the polish has coated the sides of the bottle. The collage above gives a better idea of how much polish was left.

Top: salvaged 'Cement the Deal'. Bottom (Left to Right): new bottle of 'Cement the Deal', 'Embrace the Grey', 'Romantically Involved', and 'Dark Side of the Mood'

***

No comments:

Post a Comment