Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Swatch: Revlon 'Blue Lagoon'


In my last post on Revlon's 'Tangerine', I mentioned some other polishes that were released in the same Summer 2011 'Summer Romantics' collection. 'Blue Lagoon', the subject of today's post, was one of those polishes. 

Blue Lagoon is as soft powder blue creme polish with a silver shimmer. It is quite beautiful, however, I was a little disappointed with the performance. Now of course, this is a 9 year old bottle of polish, so the problems may be due to age - but it is also a pastel, which is also another notoriously difficult formula work with. 

I found the polish to be a little patchy on application, which required more coats to get even coverage. However with more coats, dry-time increases, and consequently, the likelihood of dents and smudging also increases. I encountered all of the above! The swatch in the photo above is 4 coats, and the last was applied just before taking the picture, in order to smooth out the surface of the lacklustre manicure I was working with after 24 hours of dry/smudge time!

It looks pretty decent in the swatch photo (minus the cuticle overflow that I didn't want to risk ruining my still wet manicure to remove!), however within hours after that the manicure was smudged again, as the polish was still soft.

In summary: Older polishes can sometimes take longer to dry, but you can usually combat that by doing fewer coats. The problem here is that this pastel polish needed three or more (normally applied) coats to look good.  I suppose I could try again to see if I can get the polish to look good with one or two carefully applied coats, and then top coat to protect... I just don't know if I'm willing to try again right now after all of the frustration I had with this manicure!

Label shot of Revlon 'Blue Lagoon' - a soft powder blue nail polish with a silver shimmer

No comments:

Post a Comment