Friday, January 9, 2015

What can I do with all of these crackle polishes?!

Back during the great crackle fad of 2011, I jumped into the trend in a big way. At the time, I wasn't into nail stamping, so I had few other means of combining polish colours on a single nail. The ability to easily create colour combinations with nail polish was such an amazing thing, that I went on a mission to try to get as many different colours of crackle top coat as I could find:

Collage of 21 different crackle polishes from 4 different brands (China Glaze, Nicole, Sally Hansen, and OPI)
My Crackle Polish Collection
When I started nail stamping, it gave me another convenient way to combine polishes that I love. As a result, my crackle polishes began gathering dust - a couple even dried up right in the bottle!

I currently have 20 bottles of crackle polish in my collection, all of which have gone unused for quite some time. Now, some of you may have noticed there are 21 bottles in the picture. The purple glitter crackle on the upper left, Nicole by OPI 'Amethyst Texture', is one of the ones that dried up in the bottle. I'm currently trying to save it with nail polish thinner, but it doesn't seem to be working. Sadly, it's likely destined for the trash bin :(

The other one that dried up in the bottle is China Glaze 'Crushed Candy'. It was thrown out a long time ago, so it's not in the picture above. However, you can see a swatch of this light blue crackle polish in the before picture in my 'Verdigris Mani' post.

I've decided that I should start using my crackle polishes for pedicures, as I never do nail art on my toenails, and I really need to try to use these polishes up. However, before I do that, I want to try to use each crackle polish for a manicure that I can feature on this blog. The biggest challenge with this is that since crackle polish was such a huge fad 4 years ago, sometimes, doing a full set of basic crackle nails can look a bit dated right now. I think you have to try to use a more fresh, creative approach to avoid this.

With this in mind, I want to try and experiment with some interesting ways to use each of my crackle polishes for manicures. So, I'm doing a Crackle Nail Polish Design Series! I'm going to call it the 2015 Crackle Polish Challenge. Stay tuned to see what I come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment