Saturday, January 24, 2015

Crackle Polish Challenge #4: Dark Green and White Geometric Mani

2015 Crackle Polish Challenge Manicure #4

Featured crackle application: Filling swaths of negative space in a nail stamping manicure

Featured crackle polish: China Glaze's Crackle Glaze in 'Jade-d', a chartreuse glitter crackle polish.

Nail stamping manicure with ultra dark green nail polish with various geometric line patterns stamped in white on thumb, middle and ring fingers. Some of the Negative space between the white lines is filled with gold-green crackle glitter. The 2 unstamped fingers each have a yellow nail art rhinestone placed bottom centre
Dark Green and White Geometric Mani
Polishes Used:
Deborah Lippmann 'Billionaire'
China Glaze Crackle Glaze 'Jade-d'
Konad Special Polish in White

Plate Used:
Bundle Monster BM-604

Deborah Lippmann 'Billionaire', China Glaze Crackle Glaze 'Jade-d', and Konad Special Polish in White
Polishes Used
Overall, I like how this manicure turned out. This is the first time that I ever used 'Billionaire', and 'Jade-d'. I really like 'Billionaire' as it's an excellent alternative to black nail polish - still edgy, but with a touch of sophistication. However, I'm still on the fence about whether or not I like how the crackle glitter looks in this manicure. I think the application method of filling negative space with crackle polish is a great idea, however, I wonder if the effect might have been better with a crackle creme polish instead of a glitter.

To me, the crackle effect doesn't really seem to stand out all that much in this manicure. I feel that the glitter is already eye-catching enough, so the sparkle distracts your eye from the cracks. In addition, the dark green polish on the bottom layer shows through the translucent base of the crackle glitter, which also seems to take away from the crackle effect. Perhaps the crackle glitter would look better with a lighter colour?

I also found it hard to get consistent cracking with this polish. My thumb showed a lot of the shatter effect, my ring finger has a bit, however, on my middle finger the cracks are barely noticeable. In fairness, the lack of shatter on my middle finger could have been due to application, since I had to use a dotting tool to put it on. Incidentally, I happen to think the middle finger looks the best, due to the minimal cracking!

Another shot of the manicure described above
Dark Green and White Geometric Mani
I'm going to have to play around with 'Jade-d' some more to figure out how to use it best, especially since I actually have two bottles of chartreuse crackle glitter - this one, and another from Sally Hansen called 'Sage Smash' (see picture below). They are pretty much exact dupes, but I really love the colour so I want to find ways to use it that highlight the shade. I have an idea that I'm testing that could be a great solution for this - but more about that in my next post!!

Picture of 2 bottles of nail polish: China Glaze Crackle Glaze in 'Jade-d', and Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat in 'Sage Smash'
Chartreuse Crackle Glitter Polishes: Jade-d, and Sage Smash

No comments:

Post a Comment