Thursday, January 15, 2015

Crackle Polish Challenge #2: Emoticon Mani

2015 Crackle Polish Challenge Manicure #2

Featured crackle application: Taping/Masking

Featured crackle polish: OPI 'Silver Shatter'

Nail stamping manicure featuring grey nail polish with silver microglitters stamped with silver emoticon images on ring and middle fingers. The thumbnail has silver shatter polish over the grey base colour, but a triangle of grey base polish with no shatter topcoat, remains in the centre of the nail.
Grey and Silver Emoticon Mani
Polishes Used:
OPI 'Silver Shatter'
NCLA 'Rock Solid'
Sally Hansen 'Silver Sweep'

Plates Used:
Moyou London Geek Collection plates 2 and 3

OPI 'Silver Shatter', NCLA 'Rock Solid', and Sally Hansen 'Silver Sweep'
Polishes Used
Today's instalment of the '2015 Crackle Polish Challenge' incorporates the technique of taping/masking. I applied a piece of tape to my completely dried base colour prior to the crackle polish application, and then removed it while the crackle polish was still wet. This leaves a protected area in the shape of the applied tape, that does not received the crackle topcoat. It remains solid base-colour.

I used a triangle-shaped pieced of tape, but because of a missing area of crackle polish in the centre of the nail, the triangle looks like an arrow. Sometimes when I use shatter polishes, I'll use haphazard brush strokes that don't fully cover the nail. This leaves larger gaps so more of the base colour can show through. I did that with this application of 'Silver Shatter' polish because I find that it doesn't crack as dramatically as some of my other shatter polishes. Here's a closer look at the thumbnail (unfortunately, the best picture available was one that I took prior to cleaning up around the edges of the nail, so please disregard the excess polish on my cuticles!):

Thumbnail polished with grey polish covered in silver shatter polish, with a grey triangle in the centre.
Close-Up of Shatter Thumbnail
Overall, I like how this manicure turned out. It was a very casual, understated manicure, perfect for a 'jeans and sweatshirt' day!

No comments:

Post a Comment