Sunday, March 29, 2015

Crackle Challenge Out-take: Dissolved Crackle Experiment

Today I have a failed crackle nail polish experiment to share:

Collage showing the results of a manicure experiment in which a manicure with an orange base covered in royal blue crackle top coat, was subjected to various attempts to remove sections of the polish (using nail polish remover), in a way that was pleasing to the eye - the experiment failed.
Failed Crackle Experiment:
Dissolved Crackle
As part of the 2015 Crackle Polish Challenge, I've been trying to find creative ways to use crackle polish, in order to find alternatives to the the traditional crackle combo (like the one pictured in the upper left quadrant in the collage above). Sometimes, the ideas work out, and result in beautiful manicures. Other times, the results aren't so pretty - today's manicure falls into this category!

Originally I wasn't going to post this, but I changed my mind. I still think dissolving parts of a crackle mani is a good idea, it just take some skill and technique to properly execute - which I haven't yet acquired! I'm going to have to do a bit of research to figure this out.

I tried to remove the polish using a cotton swab soaked in nail polish remover. I found it really hard to control the final shape of the dissolved area using this method, which is why the results are so messy looking. One thing I do like though, is how a border of the orange base colour is left around all of the clear sections where the polish was removed - it's a pretty interesting effect.

The polishes used for the experiment were Essie 'Capri', and Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat 'Distressed Denim'.

Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat 'Distressed Denim', and Essie 'Capri'
Polishes Used
There are only 2 more bottles of crackle polish left, in the Crackle Polish Challenge - I'm so excited to be almost at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment