Sunday, December 23, 2018

Red Metallic Christmas Mani

Today I have an impromptu holiday-themed manicure to share.


I did this manicure very quickly. I didn't have time to remove my old polish and start from scratch, but I also didn't want to continue with my old manicure since it had started to show some wear and tear. I ended up painting right over my old manicure. As a result, you can see the bumpiness of the glitter I was wearing underneath the red metallic polish on my index and pinky fingers.

Unfortunately, I don't recall which polishes I used right now, because I was in such a rush that I didn't even think about taking a picture of the polishes. Basically I used three metallic polishes to create this look - a red, a green, and a gold.

On the middle finger, I made a Christmas Tree by using scotch tape to mask off the top corners of the nail, leaving an exposed triangle in the middle. Along the border of the exposed triangle, I used the edge of the tape cut by the metal teeth on the scotch tape holder. That edge was bordered with small triangles, similar to fabric cut with pinking shears.  I thought that this was perfect to represent the jagged boughs of the Christmas tree.  I then filled in the exposed area with a beautiful metallic green polish, and then dotted gold polish on top to represent ornaments and the star on the top of the tree.

My ring finger features an abstract design made using a dotting tool, and splotches of nail polish.

Overall, I really like the techniques that I used in this manicure, even though the execution was not perfect.  Sometimes that's just the way it goes - necessity is the mother of invention, so this is one of those times when I had to come up some ideas really quickly to cover up an old chipping mani with something presentable. They turned out to be pretty cool ideas that I hope to use again in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment