Saturday, October 18, 2014

Verdigris Mani

Today’s manicure was inspired by ‘rusting’ copper. If you've ever found an old penny that had been exposed to a winter’s worth of melted snow and rock salt, perhaps on the ground or on the floor of a car, you may have noticed the pretty shade of light blue-green patina that forms on its surface.  This is called verdigris, and it’s one of nature’s more beautiful forms of destruction! I've always loved the combination of copper and light blue because of this phenomenon.  Here’s the manicure I created based on it:

Verdigris inspired Nail Stamping Manicure using Copper and Light Blue Nail Polishes (Revlon 'Captivate', and Color Club 'Blue Ming'). Stamped using Bunny Nails Plate HD-C, and Messy Mansion Plate MM18. Also featuring a blue Nail Art Rhinestone.
Verdigris Manicure
To create this look, I used Revlon Brilliant Strength in ‘Captivate’ as the copper base coat, Color Club ‘Blue-Ming’ as the verdigris, and Konad Special Polish in White as an accent. To create the ‘splotch’ effect on my nails, I used a full nail image from Bunny Nails' (Halloween-themed) plate HD-C, and the crest on my ring finger was done with a decal image from Messy Mansion plate MM18, ‘Shabby Chic’.

Revlon 'Captivate' and Color Club 'Blue-Ming'
Polishes Used:
Revlon 'Captivate' and Color Club 'Blue-Ming'
This is my favourite verdigris manicure to date. Around 3 years ago, I tried to do a similar mani using China Glaze’s Crackle Glaze in ‘Crushed Candy’, a blue crackle polish, and Zoya’s ‘Penny’. I actually went back and found the picture to do a comparison.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I took a picture while it was fresh, so the one I found has major chipping and wear. Also, this was well before I had started stamping, and learned very many nail art techniques. 

Side by Side Comparison of the Original Verdigris Manicure using China Glaze Crackle Glaze Nail Polish in 'Crushed Candy' (c. 2011), and the newer nail stamping version using Revlon 'Captivate' and Color Club 'Blue Ming' stamped with Bunny Nails Plate HD-C, and Messy Mansion Plate MM18
Verdigris Manicure Comparison: Original vs Current Versions

Back then, I remember being thrilled about the manicure, which is why I wore it so long, and took a picture! Over the years, I've always remembered it as one of my favourite looks from the past.  I’m so happy to be able to improve upon it with some of the techniques I've learned over the last few years (but mainly in the last 10 months or so since I started stamping).  Who knows, as I continue practicing and picking up more skills and techniques, maybe I’ll have to revisit this mani in a few years time to showcase even more improvements! 

No comments:

Post a Comment